A question I get asked over and over again is how to get more clients – how to become a client magnet.
And I could send them to numerous blog posts where it is broadly explained how to get more clients (I added a few for your convenience further down this post).
They explain it better than I ever could explain it, so I am not going down that road.
I love tactics, but explaining just tactics is not what makes me tick.
Because in the end. It is never a case of tactics. Sure tactics do help. But they are usually only 20% of the solution.
80% is conquering your mind. Your mind that tells you:
- Now is not a good time, let’s do it tomorrow
- But that is really weird, no one else is doing that. Why should I do that!
- How come other people have lots of clients, their images are not better than mine. I’ll just see what they do on their Facebook page…
- Maybe a Facebook ad… that’s what works for most people right?
- I am not that desperate
- I am not good enough to be doing that
- I can’t do that!
- etc etc etc
[pullquote align=”normal” cite=”- David Cuschieri”]“The mind is a powerful force. It can enslave us or empower us. It can plunge us into the depths of misery or take us to the heights of ecstasy. Learn to use the power wisely.”[/pullquote]
I am sure your mind has many more variations. I know my mind does ;-).
Become a client magnet in 5 easy steps
So I like to tell people to do the following:
- Set a goal that you really like to achieve. For example book 30 weddings this year.
- Find a couple of tactics on how to achieve that. I listed a few for you in this post.
- Be realistic on how much time is involved in executing each tactic.
- Plan your week in advance. I use a nifty sheet from Lucky Bitch, where I write down my money goals and my monthly do goals. Lucky Bitch Homepage (affiliate link) > search for “Track your income”.
- Execute on it.
And now comes the best part.
You will notice that you will procrastinate. Your mind will wander. You will feel off. You will say to yourself “now is not a good day” or “it’s not a good tactic after all”.
Conquer your mind when procrastinating
What I want you to do when that happens is the following:
1. Forgive yourself. Just say it to yourself: “I forgive myself for thinking I can’t do it” Or whatever you are thinking. Even if you think this is really out there, just do it. You will find that it works even if you don’t believe in it.
2. Write down all your thoughts with pen and paper around why you are procrastinating.
3. For every thought ask yourself: “Is it true?”
This should already give you some relief and will make you want to execute again.
[pullquote align=”normal” cite=”― Byron Katie”]“Don’t believe everything you think.”[/pullquote]
Depending on how much time you give yourself (I would say, invest heaps of time in this!! It will pay you back later) you can do a whole Byron Katie sequence on each thought. Byron Katie is the lady who came up with the 4 questions that will change you live. And ‘Is it true?” is the first one.
The book: “4 Questions that can change your life”
Tactics on how to get more clients
- Leah has a great tip that involves handwritten notes at around 2:20 in her video. And it is so simple! I have never heard anyone do this.
- Mary Marantz shares some great tips to do today! On the Animoto website. I love the 7th tip on the list, this will give you heaps of immediate attention on Facebook!
- I love #2 from Christina Greve: Do one thing every day to promote yourself. Consistency rules! + 5 more tips on her blog.
- Take care of your ideal clients and take care of your vendors and more tips on Shootdotedit’s website. You can do this today!
- Out of the box, this worked for a lot of personal trainers. Can you make it work for you? I think it is worth a shot! (and if your mind says no, go back to the four questions).
- On SLR Lounge some great tips from Hanssie. Especially nr. 3 (how to get your past brides to refer you) will spark some creative ideas of your own.
- BONUS. Great video from Spencer at Ground Glass on tapping in on the benefits for your clients. You do this when you talk to your potential client so they don’t disappear on you.
Which one are you going for first? Let us know how it worked!